Cassie Wilson (Half Access) &
Music Venue Accessibility
WELCOME TO ANOTHER EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week, I chat with an incredible human being named, Cassie Wilson! Cassie is an accessibility activist and musical entrepreneur who runs the online music reviewing site, Sick Snaps, as well as the nonprofit, Half Access.
We chat about music, Taco Bell, being from Oregon and the greater purpose of Cassie's work in the scene today. Half Access is a program that gives disabled music fans a voice in accessibility issues and ableism at concert venues through a database of music venues and its accessibility needs and issues, while also developing ways to help venues improve their practices.
Having recently turned 19 (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!), she is already making a major name for herself as the recipient of a $10,000 grant from Hopeless Records and Sub City. She was flown to Cleveland to receive the award in front of thousands of people and musicians she admires at the Alternative Press Music Awards!
- A lot of bands get hyped in this episode, check out tunes from Grizzly, Speak Low If You Speak Love, From Indian Lakes, and Owel.
- You can learn more about Cassie's nonprofit, Half Access, by visiting HalfAccess.org - make sure to check out the venue database and reach out so that you can help her chronicle music venue accessibility across the country and WORLD!
- Dan Campbell from The Wonder Years presented Cassie with her APMA award - you can check out the video and article HERE! You can also learn more about the Hopeless Records/Subcity grant she won!
- Sick Snaps, Cassie's first project, featured my first single back in May, and it was a wonderful way to connect with my home audience in the Pacific Northwest! Be sure to check out more of Sick Snaps' work and all of the great tunes they feature.
- Cassie's favorite record labels today are Hopeless Records and Triple Crown Records - both are putting nothing but incredible bands!
- If you haven't heard the new album from The Maine, Cassie's favorite band of all time, you should get on that! I just did and I really enjoyed it.
- But currently Cassie is all about A Will Away, Tigers Jaw, and Paramore.
- In fact, Cassie's top album this year so far is “After Laughter,” by Paramore.
- This week's music sponsor is Spartan Records - you can hear more tunes from their bands at SpartanRecords.com!
- The intro/outro/break song is "Atom Smasher," from the new Young Fox album, "Sky Beats Gold." I love the album - have the orange/brown/white tri-color with black haze vinyl pressing. It's gorgeous.
- Our featured track is "Monsters Among Men," from the new American Opera album, "Small Victories." It's a fabulous new wave Americana record with ridiculous artwork and some really cool stories! Check out the full album now!
- As an added bonus, click here to check out an in-depth interview with John from American Opera.
- This week's HYPE of the week goes out to one of Cassie's projects, Sick Snaps! You can get all sorts of new music recommendations, band interviews, photos, and monthly podcasts by simply visiting SickSnaps.co! It's that easy!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
- Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @CrigBididman
See you next week!
Let's get to work.
- July 2019 2
- May 2019 2
- April 2019 2
- February 2019 2
- January 2019 3
- December 2018 1
- November 2018 2
- October 2018 2
- September 2018 4
- August 2018 4
- July 2018 3
- June 2018 4
- May 2018 6
- April 2018 5
- March 2018 6
- February 2018 5
- January 2018 4
- December 2017 3
- November 2017 3
- October 2017 7
- September 2017 4
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 4
- June 2017 4