Educator & Public Speaker
I love educating people on the topics that no one else wants to discuss - mental health and sexual health. I have spoken at dozens of campuses across the country, as well as at many professional conferences. On this page, I wanted to share the topics of which I am comfortable speaking and workshops I am comfortable leading. You can watch some videos, read my mini-manifestos, and learn a little bit about what I have to offer as a public speaker!
I also pride myself on not being a "traditional" motivational speaker - I'm not representing by an agency or a company, or anything like that. I book gigs by myself and work with you and your organization to set up the dates and topics that will best fit your campus - and my sliding scale pay rate (very punk influenced) will ensure you're not gonna break your budget to bring me to your campus - money is nice, but education is forever.
Feel free to CONTACT me if you would like to book me to speak on your campus, at your organization, or business!
MENTAL HEALTH, WELLNESS & SELF-CARE
I strongly believe in destigmatizing the global, national, and local conversation on mental health and mental illness. In my talks and workshops on mental health, I share stories of my personal struggles with mental illness, overcoming alcoholism, recovery, and survival from multiple suicide attempts.
It's imperative that we encourage students, colleagues, and family members to share their mental health with each other so that no one ever feels as though they are suffering alone. College is a time when students are pushed to their limits academically, physically, and mentally. So I invest a lot of my time and work into making sure students are taking care of their health by eating well, sleeping enough, and being active/creative.
I also present focused talks on how men manage their mental health in spite of problematic hegemonic masculinity. Through my personal experiences as a man who lives with depression and anxiety, I discuss how men can open up to other men, their partners, and friends in order to take charge of their mental health - which, again, is an issue that far too many men hide simply because it can be difficult to discuss. Our culture has failed men in this regard and I will not rest until I can reach as many men as possible - in hopes of spreading the word about destigmatizing mental health.
TALKS I OFFER:
- MOST REQUESTED: "Survival Ain't Pretty" - Managing Mental Illness During College (includes music & poetry)
- Balance and Wellness as a Student Leader/Professional
- "Going Home is Hard for Me" - Navigating difficult conversations with Family
- Prioritizing Mental Health During Your Job Search
- Masculinity and Mental Health
- De-stigmatizing Suicide and Self-harm
- Digital Wellness & Shutting Off
- Art Therapy and Mental Health
- Addiction from a Survivor's Perspective
- Challenging Cultural and Hegemonic Masculinity
- Sleep and Self-Care
CHECK OUT THE PECHA KUCHA
TALK I GAVE AT ACPA16 IN MONTREAL
FOCUSING ON ART THERAPY,
MENTAL HEALTH, AND JOB SEARCHING
SEXUAL HEALTH EDUCATION & CONSENT
I am often asked why I enjoy talking about sex. And the answer I consistently give is "because it makes people uncomfortable." It's true! Talking about sex is uncomfortable, but a lot of this discomfort is because no one ever wants to have an honest and educational conversation about sex. However, I have a lot of fun with this talks. I bring in a lot of comedy to talk about sex because I find that it lightens the mood of an already difficult conversation.
Honestly, it's sad to me that I am and have been some people's first-ever sex talk. But I take a lot of pride and joy in those moments. I want to educate folks about their bodies, about consent, about communication, and about how combining all of those elements can make them a more informed and conscientious sexual person.
Through discussions on consent, I also educate students and communities on sexual assault prevention and bystander intervention. I share examples of how intervening in moments of crisis can empower folks to help someone - perhaps even someone they know - escape a potentially traumatic situation.
TALKS I OFFER:
- MOST-REQUESTED: "Real Talk / Sex Talk" - 90-minute Sexual Health Orientation
- The Intersection of Sexual Health and Mental Health
- Consent, Sexual Assault Prevention & Bystander Intervention
- Masculinity and Sexuality
- The Digital Disconnect Between Reality and Delusion in terms of Sex & Sexuality
- Relationships & Communication
AUTHENTICITY, PROFESSIONALISM & LEADERSHIP
I absolutely love talking about how authenticity is linked to leadership. I believe that being a good leader is being true to yourself, your ethics, and the eccentricities of your personality. I am pretty weird person - if you haven't noticed throughout this entire website - and because of this, I bring a very unconventional approach to how I educate.
While at the same time, in my presentations, I share how our culture prevents us from being ourselves all of the time, in order to appease social norms, gender norms, and professional norms. It all damages the way we think of ourselves and how we perform as human beings. I actively challenge these norms and encourage students and communities to challenge them as well.
I truly feel that my generation is the generation to shake up all of the norms that have been set in stone for decades. We are reinventing identity each day and with each brave human being that is true and authentic.
TALKS I OFFER:
- MOST REQUESTED: College Sucks! What I Wish I Knew About College
- Millennials and the Next Generation of Professionalism
- Authenticity as a Student Leader/Professional
- What to Expect when Applying to Grad School
- Authenticity for Networking on Social Media
- Supporting the Authenticity of Young Professionals
- The Importance of Sharing Our Stories