1: Kevin Forch & Community College Access
1: Kevin Forch &
Community College Access
WELCOME TO EPISODE ONE OF THE EDUPUNX POD!
Today I chat with my friend, Kevin Forch, the Director for Student Success at Southeast Community College in Lincoln, Nebraska. Kevin agreed to be my guinea pig for this project, and for that, I am incredibly thankful. I am still figuring out the pace for the podcast, but I think this a great start! Kevin and I discuss a WIDE range of topics outside of the simple yet broad, "community college access." There was too much to include in a simple headline. But we definitely dig into some real-life topics like being non-traditional grad students, working with non-traditional students, being adults, millennial-shaming, and the reality of being a somewhat lone progressive in a very red state like Nebraska and the types of learning and unlearning of which that consists.
You can either listen on this page, or over on iTunes by CLICKING HERE!
Throughout the episode, Kevin and I make references to a few things that we want to make you sure are familiar with, or have the chance to follow up one, so check these our below!
- Kevin references the book, "Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life, 2nd Edition with an Update a Decade Later," check it out!
- Kevin apparently bought a house thanks to a first-time Homebuyer credit, lucky guy.
- It's very cool that Kevin got to take students to the St. Louis Art Museum.
- MILLENNIALS ARE RUINING EVERYTHING! and avocado toast is a thing?
- We talk about the good things that have come from the #SAGrad chats - chats I started for grad students in the summer of 2014, and have continued since I passed them along!
- If you wanna follow the #SAGrad chat leaders that followed me, follow Ricky Meinke at @RickyTM7 on Twitter and Allie Trigs at @AllieTrigs on Twitter.
- Kevin has the cutest corgi pupper, name of Sasha! You can find more images of Sasha on Kevin's instagram - www.instagram.com/kevinforch
- In these challenging times, we could all benefit from "True North," by Bad Religion.
- As a comic nerd, Kevin hypes the new comic series, SLAM!
- Kevin is currently reading “The Things You Can Only See When You Slow Down,” by Buddhist Monk, Haemin Sunim.
- The gracious gift-giver Kevin references at the end is the fantastic, Nathanial Garrod - give him a follow at @Nathanialjg on Twitter.
- Get in touch with Kevin on Twitter - @KevinForch (real original)
- Today's episode is selfishly sponsored by my own nonprofit, The Art of Survival! You can check out more about what we do for survivors of trauma, by visiting www.artissurvival.com.
- Our music sponsor for the week is Sounds and Tones Records! You can check out more about the label at www.soundsandtonesrecords.com. And you listen to their bands and buy merch at www.soundsandtonesrecords.bandcamp.com!
I make a brief comment at the beginning of the chat with Kevin that the audio for our conversation was recorded before I had received my podcasting microphone/proper recording program, so bare with us on this recording and stay tuned for it to only get better from here!
- Also, in this episode you get a tiny preview of the title track on my upcoming EP, "Farewell," this snippet appears in the intro, the first ad segment, and the outro!
You can preorder my new EP at anotherpoormusician.bandcamp.com!
I also feature a demo track from my friend, Nevan Doyle of Nevan Doyle Design in the second ad portion. It's trippy and I love it.
Thanks for hanging out!
See you next week.
Up the punx!
- May 2019 2
- April 2019 2
- February 2019 2
- January 2019 3
- December 2018 1
- November 2018 2
- October 2018 2
- September 2018 4
- August 2018 4
- July 2018 3
- June 2018 4
- May 2018 6
- April 2018 5
- March 2018 6
- February 2018 5
- January 2018 4
- December 2017 3
- November 2017 3
- October 2017 7
- September 2017 4
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 4
- June 2017 4