42: Conor McLaughlin
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Conor McLaughlin is an adjunct professor in the Leadership Studies Department at San Diego University - where he teaches on the ethics of leadership. His work is heavily influenced by his punk roots and straight edge lifestyle, which we get into on this episode! Conor is a well-dressed academic punk, which also sort of bucks the typical stereotypes of what a punk should/could look like.
We dig into a lot of social and societal issues surrounding punk, privilege, and working in higher education as white men who are working toward dismantling systems of oppression from the inside. It isn't easy work, but we lay some groundwork for HOW it could be done - perhaps a follow up episode will be needed for this one!
- This week we featured tunes from the I Kill Giants self-titled album, which was originally released five years ago but is now getting a remastered reissue from Near Mint Records on June 15th.
- We shared the tunes, "Larry Jr." and "Collector" on this episode - and if you liked what you heard, go to wearenearmint.com to snag a vinyl or digital copy of the album.
- You can also check out ikillgiants.bandcamp.com to listen to the album on Bandcamp - or find it on Spotify!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- I wanted to hype up the artwork and services of my buddy, Corey Purvis, this week! He is one of the most imaginative creatives out there today - I personally love his style and approach to humanity and how he portrays it.
- Visit the following sites to check out his work and to commission him to make something for you, your organization, or band - http://cargocollective.com/coreypurvis or coreypurvis.bigcartel.com to buy some of his work!
- Oh! And he runs Near Mint Records! So look at that connection!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back on Wednesday with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.