34: Sheridan Allen
(Punk Talks) &
Mental Health Advocacy
in the Scene
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
Sheridan Allen is the founder and director of Punk Talks, which is a nonprofit dedicated to supporting folks in the music industry with free mental health services. Sheridan currently hails from Philadelphia and is a trained therapist, social worker, and all-around great human being.
Punk Talks aims to provide free mental health assistance to bands, industry professionals, and fans while also educating and raising awareness of mental health and self-care. Punk Talks just officially became a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, so we get into that process, as well as what Sheridan has learned over the last three years of running the organization. This conversation is full of advocating for mental health support and community building, we both share out personal experiences with mental illness and survival - and share a number of ideas for how you can find support and help your friends as well.
- This week you heard tunes from the new self-titled album from Honey and Salt, which is due out on Spartan Records on April 6!
- Spartan Records is offering 20% off you next purchase through their webstore at SpartanRecords.com - just enter the promo code: EDUPUNX at checkout and it'll be added to your order!
- I played the songs, "A Nihilist Takes up Knitting," and "Simple Errors" during this episode, and if you liked what you heard from Honey and Saly, definitely check out the album when it drops in a couple weeks!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- This week we featured Punk Talks, which just celebrated its third year of existence, and in that time, it has toured around the country to spread its message while gaining the support of bands and industry professionals in the community for the positive impact it has had on mental health awareness in emo, punk, and DIY.
- It has been endorsed and supported by bands such as Modern Baseball, Turnover, You Blew It, Free Throw, Somos, Spraynard, Dikembe, and many others.
- Make sure to visit PunkTalks.org for more information!
- You don't have to be sad to make great music.
- I also plugged the Art of Survival, my nonprofit that makes pieces of art for trauma survivors. As we enter April, which is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, we hope to share a new set of stories from survivors so that we can continue to create a community of healing. Visit artissurvival.com/share-your-story if you'd like to share a story with us!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.