38: Neal Karkhanis (The Great Heights Band) - the Punk Lawyer
38: Neal Karkhanis (The Great Heights Band) -
the Punk Lawyer
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Neal Karkhanis is a guitarist and singer in the band, The Great Heights Band, a Baltimore-based indie/pop punk band that releases its new album, "Rad Pop," this Friday! Karkhanis is also a lawyer, and Healthcare lobbyist for his day job as the Director for Government Relations for the Maryland Hospital Association. Karkhanis actually founded the band while in law school, which is equally impressive as it is absurd - but as he explains, there's a system to law school.
Karkhanis and I also dig into how we were both determined to succeed in education because of an educator telling us that we wouldn't succeed - so in true punk form, we learned out of spite and persevered. You also get to learn A LOT about the politics around healthcare access and the challenges and opportunities Karkhanis has had along the way.
- This week, we shared tunes from the new album, "Rad Pop," from the Great Heights Band, which is being released through CI Records this Friday!
- You can visit TheGreatHeightsBand.com to snag a vinyl copy, CD, or digital download! There are some really sweet vinyl variants for the record - so don't miss out!
- We shared the songs, "What's Real!" and "Straight to Hell" in this episode - so if you like what you heard, you can already stream a few of the other singles, and check out their videos, ahead of the official release this Friday!
- Table-Turned is a DIY record-of-the-month club. Subscribers select from two genre options and receive a record each month for that genre, including some “classics” as well as albums they may have missed.
- Table-Turned was recently featured in Paste magazine AND in The Hype Magazine!
- You can start your monthly vinyl subscription for $175 for the year. And to learn more and/or to start your subscription, visit Table-Turned.com!
- Make sure you follow Jaclyn's project over at inbetweenspins.com - we just posted a new episode of the podcast element of the project, so give that a listen!
- Follow In Between Spins on Twitter and Instagram to check out all of the goodies she's gonna share with the world! And check out her YouTube channel!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.