19: Lauren Kashan (Sharptooth) & Femmes in Hardcore
Lauren Kashan (Sharptooth) &
Femmes in Hardcore
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week, Katy Hamm returns as the host of the podcast to bring you a special chat with a very badass guest. Lauren Kashan is the lead singer for the melodic hardcore band, Sharptooth. Lauren also holds a Herpetology degree from Towson University in Baltimore, Maryland. She is a self-proclaimed Reptile Lady and works as an Environmental educator, regularly visiting schools, libraries, and other spaces where she teaches folks about reptiles and other fun creatures.
In this episode, Katy and Lauren bond over their shared love of hardcore music, wanting more femme representation in hardcore, and how fighting the patriarchy often starts in the pit. Katy's return to hosting duties is a doozy this week and you are bound to love it! And you get to hear some of the kickass tunes from the new Sharptooth album, Clever Girl, which is out THIS FRIDAY through Pure Noise Records.
And stay tuned later this week for an extended episode of Katy and Lauren's chat - cuz they just had SO MUCH to talk about this week!
- Just a heads up - there is A LOT of explicit language on this episode.
- I absolutely love that Sharptooth's name is a reference to Land Before Time - because it's one of my favorite movies from my childhood.
- And the new album, "Clever Girl," is a reference to Jurassic Park - because after all, Lauren loves Velociraptors.
- Lauren suggests checking out the Gone series from Michael Grant.
- Both Katy and Lauren have recently gone through the Dave Eggars book, "The Circle," which was adapted and released as a film this year.
- Another commonality among Katy and Lauren is their love for the album, "Diamond" by Stick to Your Guns.
- Adding more to their shared obsessions, each also have a tattoo for the band Every Time I Die - Katy's being a quote from the song "Ebolarama," and Lauren's being an inner lip tattoo of the title of the band's debut LP, Hot Damn!
- in a not-so surprising turn of events, it is not shocking to learn that the Herpetologist and massive animal/reptile lover/educator, Lauren, owns every single Animorphs book ever released.
- This week we got to share tunes from the new Sharptooth album, "Clever Girl," which comes out THIS FRIDAY on Pure Noise Records.
- You can snag all sorts of merch bundles, including CD, vinyl, and digital copies of the new album by visiting Sharptooth.Merchnow.com.
- Make sure to also check out the band's new music video for the politically charged title track, "Clever Girl," on youtube!
- If you like what you heard from the band, make sure you catch them on tour with Stray from the Path and Anti-Flag this winter - a tour that was very recently announced!
- This week we hyped the vinyl subscription service, Table Turned!
- Table-Turned is a DIY record-of-the-month club. Subscribers select from two genre options and receive a record each month for that genre, including some “classics” as well as albums they may have missed.
- Right now, subscribers can subscribe for either the Noise Rock genre option or the Americana Punk genre option $175 for the entire year. You can also subscribe month-to-month for $15 a month. That option only lasts until October 31, when their month-to-month option expires until the next round. Round Two’s records ship before January 1.
- To learn more and/or to start your subscription, visit Table-Turned.com!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.
- February 2019 1
- January 2019 3
- December 2018 1
- November 2018 2
- October 2018 2
- September 2018 4
- August 2018 4
- July 2018 3
- June 2018 4
- May 2018 6
- April 2018 5
- March 2018 6
- February 2018 5
- January 2018 4
- December 2017 3
- November 2017 3
- October 2017 7
- September 2017 4
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 4
- June 2017 4