16: Anaëlle Séïde & Peer-to-Peer Social Justice Education
Anaëlle Séïde &
Peer-to-Peer Social Justice Education
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week is a special episode of the podcast because it's the FIRST episode where the reins are handed over to Katy Hamm! You might remember them from our 14th episode, where we discussed mental health in the workplace. Well now Katy is the host, chatting with one of their students, Anaëlle Séïde!
Anaëlle is a senior at Lesley University studying Biology and Cognitive Neuroscience. She is also a co-director of the peer social justice education organization at Lesley called CommonLYNX - which is a fantastic pun since the Lesley mascot is the Lynx! Katy and Anaëlle dig into the details of what it takes to run a peer mentoring program based around diversity, inclusion, and identity development. They also break down, from the student perspective, the barriers that exist between student and admin in terms of professional boundaries and respect.
- Anaëlle is a big Beyonce and Chance the Rapper fan, and who could blame her?
- In case you were wondering, yes - Family Matters was and is a badass TV show that didn't skip a beat on social commentary back in the day.
- If you're down for a new read, check out "Home Going," by Yaa Gyasi, which sounds like a fascinating read.
- And if you wanna dig into Anaëlle's favorite book of all-time, get yourself a copy of "Sister Outsider," by the incomparable Audre Lorde.
- You know you wanna listen to some Lauryn Hill right now - we could all use some Lauryn in our lives these days.
- Big thanks to our friends at Counter Intuitive Records - a DIY record label in Massachusetts that is dedicating to supporting new and up-and-coming bands - this week we feature a song from the folks in Sleeping Patterns.
- "Saratoga" is off the new album, "Don't Be a Stranger," from Brooklyn's own Nervous Dater. You can purchase/stream a digital copy (at a name-your-own-price) from Nervous Dater by visiting nervousdater.bandcamp.com or snag a physical copy from Counter Intuitive Records at CounterIntuitiveRecords.com!
- You also got to hear the song, "Forever Please," by Pictures of Vernon, which is also on Counter Intuitive Records, and can be snagged at their store as well! You can learn more about the band by visiting picturesofvernon.bandcamp.com.
- This week we are sponsored by Free Negro University - which is the company ran by our guest on episode 7, Josh Odom. Josh has been creating and printing more apparel for your activist needs.
- Free Negro University is a collective of Black scholar-activists devoted to absolute freedom for all Black lives. They pride themselves on imagining and building new worlds where people can be their unapologetic selves.
- Make sure to visit his temporary online store while he gets things up and running again!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.
- August 2019 2
- July 2019 2
- May 2019 2
- April 2019 2
- February 2019 2
- January 2019 3
- December 2018 1
- November 2018 2
- October 2018 2
- September 2018 4
- August 2018 4
- July 2018 3
- June 2018 4
- May 2018 6
- April 2018 5
- March 2018 6
- February 2018 5
- January 2018 4
- December 2017 3
- November 2017 3
- October 2017 7
- September 2017 4
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 4
- June 2017 4