40: Chris Gilbert -
The Punk at Harvard
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
Chris Gilbert is a Director of Special Projects at Harvard University - the oldest institution in America, and an institution where he has held a number of titles, and holds a vast amount of knowledge. So this week Katy Hamm sat down with Gilbert, amid his interest in making the historically gender-exclusive Final Clubs gender-inclusive, a move that has sparked a great bit of controversy among current students and alums. Gilbert digs into the motivations for this proposed move and how his experiences being in the Harvard community have informed him over nearly a decade.
Gilbert also came up in the punk scenes of Chicago, is a straight-edge vegan, and is quite heavily tattooed - something you'd imagine would be a bigger issue at Harvard, but as you'll hear, there are a lot of misconceptions about Harvard. Gilbert is a fantastic person to hear discuss some of the history of Harvard, how he battles imposter syndrome, and a plethora of other enamoring topics throughout his conversation with Katy Hamm this week! Hope you enjoy!
- This week we shared tunes from the new Creighola (AKA Amish Rage) album, "UYULALA," which came out on May 1 through its creator, Scott Nicklas.
- If you like what you heard, please check out amishrage.bandcamp.com to snag a digital copy of the album and all of his other music. And go to his Soundcloud account to keep up with all of his creations as he creates them!
- I featured the songs, "Salvage (Like a Breeze)," "Frou-Fraught <3," and "A Jellyfish can be So Beautiful."
- Scott and I go way back in terms of creating music - back to our college days of DIY recording in garages and living rooms and making lots of noise together, so it feels very special to support the release of his new album this week!
- Scott even has a feature on one of my earliest songs from 2011 - you can check it out here!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
Make sure you follow Jaclyn's project over at inbetweenspins.com - and follow on Twitter and Instagram to check out all of the goodies she's gonna share with the world! And check out her YouTube channel!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back on Wednesday with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.