2: Alex McElroy &
The Writing Life
WELCOME BACK TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week, I am excited to present a conversation with one of my best friends, a former writing partner and roommate, and one of the most reflective human beings I know, Alex McElroy. Alex is currently a Doctoral student at the University of Houston, where he is pursuing his doctorate in English and Creative Writing. Alex and I catch up a bit - since I last visited him in Texas in November - and discuss a wide array of topics, from teaching reading and writing composition, to the future of education, as well as what it was like being abroad in Bulgaria and how that experience influenced his writing. I had a lot of fun with this conversation, and I'm so thankful that we were able to have it!
You can either listen on this page, or over on iTunes by CLICKING HERE!
- Alex is the current fiction editor for Gulf Coast, and was previously the International editor for the Hayden's Ferry Review.
- Snag a copy of Allegra Hyde's debut collection, "Of This New World"
- Alex wrote this pretty brutal story about the time he and his wife spent in Bulgaria - it appear courtesy of the New England Review.
- Here's a wonderful piece about Margaret Atwood, the Handmaid's Tale, and the age of Trump
- Alex references this wonderful talk by Tristan Harris about social media, technology and distractions
- Alex's new chapbook, "Daddy Issues," will be released this fall through the Cupboard Pamphlet.
- Need a new author to check out? Alex cannot suggest the works of Robert Walser enough - especially the book, Jakob Von Gunten.
- Check out "Stephen Florida," by Gabe Habash
- Outside of Gulf Coast, Alex also suggests that people support the Black Warrior Review, as well as The Offing! Get your reading on, folks!
- Ever the existentialist, Alex is a big fan of "The Squid and the Whale," and the French psychological film, "Personal Shopper."
- And finally, if you need to get in touch with your softer side, check out Elliott Smith's brilliant album, “either/or”
YOU CAN GET IN TOUCH WITH ALEX ON TWITTER @ABMCELROY1
Or check out his online portfolio at alexmcelroy.org.
And I will update this page when his book is up for preorder!
- This week's episode is sponsored by Plucking Yew Promotions and Matt Palmer Media. Are you an artist or musician? Do you need some quick design work done? Reach out to Matt Palmer! He's an incredibly talented based in the midwest and would love to help you out! Visit mattpalmermedia.com for more info on how to commission work from him!
- Once again, our music sponsor for the week is Sounds and Tones Records! You can check out more about the label at www.soundsandtonesrecords.com. And you listen to their bands and buy merch at www.soundsandtonesrecords.bandcamp.com! This week's song is "Take Care," by Heart of Gold, of the album a Profound Sense of Slipping.
I make a brief comment at the beginning of the chat with Alex that the audio for our conversation was recorded before I had received my podcasting microphone/proper recording program, so bare with us for a couple moments on this recording and stay tuned for it to only get better from here!
- The intro song is an instrumental version of the Circa Survive song, "Wish Resign."
Thanks for listening again this week!
I'll be back next week with another chat for your ears!
In the meantime, SUBSCRIBE, RATE, and SHARE the podcast!
- April 2019 3
- February 2019 2
- January 2019 3
- December 2018 1
- November 2018 2
- October 2018 2
- September 2018 4
- August 2018 4
- July 2018 3
- June 2018 4
- May 2018 6
- April 2018 5
- March 2018 6
- February 2018 5
- January 2018 4
- December 2017 3
- November 2017 3
- October 2017 7
- September 2017 4
- August 2017 4
- July 2017 4
- June 2017 4