36: Matthew Politoski
(Animal Flag) &
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Matthew Politoski started Animal Flag as a solo project many moons ago and over the years, it has become a band that is a force to be reckoned with. Politoski also comes from a pretty musical family, which is how he learned to make music - and now he works as a music educator, supporting kids and young adults of varying levels of knowledge learn how to be better musicians and ensembles/bands. We get into what he's learned along the way en route to finding out a number of fantastic musical connections - because the world is truly a tiny place.
On April 13, Animal Flag releases its new album, "Void Ripper," through Flower Girl Records and Triple Crown Records - an album that allowed Politoski to explore a number of topics that helped him process existence, faith, and the intersections therein. "Void Ripper" is a stunning rock album that is as raw as it is beautiful and elegant. Make sure you check it out when it drops!
Also, Matthew and I certainly got onto a number of tangents that were certainly related to the conversation - yet, one such tangent deserved it's own bonus episode, which you will hear this weekend! So stick around for that!
- In this episode, you heard tunes from the new Animal Flag album, "Void Ripper," and album that drops on April 13! Visit Animal Flag's bandcamp to stream some of the singles, and/or to preorder the album.
- You can also visit Flower Girl Records to get a vinyl, CD, or cassette copy of the album as well!
- This episode featured elements from the songs, "Void Ripper," "Fair," and "Candace."
- Matthew also recently released a solo instrumental/drone album called, "8 Emanations," from which you heard the songs, "4 Ocen," and "Shame," respectively.
- All of the proceeds from Matthew's solo record will be donated to BARCC. They are an incredible organization that provide free, confidential support and services to survivors of sexual violence in the Greater Boston area. Learn more at www.barcc.org.
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- Sexual Assault Awareness Month, so I want to share information about RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) and the national Sexual Assault Hotline.
- RAINN is the nation's largest anti-sexual violence organization. RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE, online.rainn.org & rainn.org/es) in partnership with more than 1,000 local sexual assault service providers across the country and operates the DoD Safe Helpline for the Department of Defense. RAINN also carries out programs to prevent sexual violence, help survivors, and ensure that perpetrators are brought to justice.
- The National Sexual Assault Hotline is a safe, confidential service. When you call the hotline, only the first six numbers of the phone number are used to route the call, and your complete phone number is never stored in our system. Most states do have laws that require local staff to contact authorities in certain situations, like if there is a child or vulnerable adult who is in danger.
- Visit RAINN.org for more information!
- And make sure you follow Jaclyn's project over at inbetweenspins.com - we just posted a new episode of the podcast element of the project, so give that a listen!
- Follow In Between Spins on Twitter and Instagram to check out all of the goodies she's gonna share with the world! And check out her YouTube channel!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you this weekend when we post the XTRA episode from this conversation!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.