68: Chris Lee-Rodriguez (Really From & I Kill Giants) & the Pedagogy of Nostalgia
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Chris Lee-Rodriguez is a brilliant musician, educator, and all-around good person. Chris is the guitarist and vocalist for the Boston-based jazzy emo band, Really From, and previously lead the math punk act, I Kill Giants. Chris recently released his first solo project with an EP called, “It Could Happen,” which he self-released on May 3. You will hear a number of these tracks throughout the episode!
Chris teaches young people how to play guitars and a number of other instruments - an experience that he reflects on in detail in this episode. This conversation also covers a lot of arenas of interest to our listeners including how Hurricane Maria impacted him and his family in Puerto Rico, to his disgust for capitalism and Shark Tank (to my chagrin), as well as Chris’ three pieces of being a good person.
This episode was recorded in a practice space - where other bands were practicing, so you may hear random bouts of song in the background here and there.
- This week you got to hear tunes from the Chris Lee-Rodriguez’s debut release, “It Could Happen,” which he self-released on May 3.
- Chris’s solo sound takes on a number of the styles he’s presented throughout his various projects over the years - including expanding into more of his classical Spanish guitar stylings that compliment the more chaotic moments of the album.
- On this episode, you got to hear the tracks, “Written by the Golden Gate Bridge,” “Dream Song,” and “Hurricane is a Taino word.” You can check out the album through the Chris’s Bandcamp page, and through all of the streaming platforms!
THE CONNECTEDU NETWORK
- This week, you got to learn about the ConnectEDU Network, of which this podcast is now a contributing member!
- ConnectEDU Network connects the unique perspectives and expert insight of higher education through podcasting. If you’re affiliated with higher education – from professor to director of marketing – you’ll be able to find a podcast that fits your style. Our podcasts are produced and hosted by passionate and innovative members of the field, all fueled by the excitement of the future of higher education.
- You should check out all of the Network’s content creators and podcasts right now if you’re looking for some new education-based pods!
And you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
THE ART OF SURVIVAL UPDATE
We've officially rebranded The Art of Survival and launched a revamping of our website - artissurvival.com! Check out the MANY resources we have available and please feel free to read our stories and share your own!
We are also excited to announce a brand new Patreon account - so if you would like to support our work, please check out your options of how to do so! Even $5/month can go a long way!
Check out the link here:
And if you haven't noticed, we're dedicating ourselves to the music scene moving forward - so if your band/venue would like to work with us, please reach out!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in - we will be back next week with another great chat!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.