44: Mauricio Dimas
& the Joy of Cooking
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Mauricio Dimas is a chef. A damn good chef. He is the Chef de Cuisine at a high-end Mexican restaurant in Portland, Oregon called, Autentica. Mauricio is one of Craig's eldest friends - having met in sixth grade in 1999 - and the two have been through a lot over the years. Craig and Mauricio met up at a donut shop in Portland on Craig's recent trip home and decided to record a chat!
While attempting to attend college, Mauricio realized that the traditional education route was not for him. So he decided to drop out of community college so he could pursue a different passion - a passion deeply connected to his family, his culture, and his love of food. In seeking out culinary school, he preferred the trade school approach to education. We get into what it was like making such a decision, how he earned his way into the industry, and what it takes to run a restaurant - the community, the planning, and the ways to keep it fresh.
We also dig into the recent challenges to immigration policy and how it impacts the restaurant industry, as well as a quick note on the passing of Anthony Bourdain - who was one of Mauricio true inspirations.
- This week we shared tunes from the new June Pastel album, "Collages," which will be released through The Native Sound on June 29.
- We shared the songs, "Without a Phrase" and "All to Come."
- The album is currently available FOR DOWNLOAD on their bandcamp site, so you have no reason to not download this album right now!
- And hey, if physical music is your deal, you can snag a cassette copy of the album
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- Table-Turned is a DIY record-of-the-month club. Subscribers select from two genre options and receive a record each month for that genre, including some “classics” as well as albums they may have missed.
- The current genre selection are shoegaze revival and post hardcore - and you still have about a month and a half until these options are gone! So get your subscription now!
- Table-Turned was recently featured in Paste magazine AND in The Hype Magazine!
- You can start your monthly vinyl subscription for $175 for the year. And to learn more and/or to start your subscription, visit Table-Turned.com!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back on Wednesday with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.