70: Clare Cady - Campus Food Banks & Crossfit
Clare Cady is the founder of the Colleges & Universities Food Bank Alliance (CUFBA) - she’s also an all-around badass. Clare and I go way back to our days at Oregon State University - where we met and became quick friends! In this episode, Clare shares her experiences with homelessness, joblessness, and food insecurity. She explores how the creation of CUFBA has impacted many college communities and the lives of even more students. We even dig deep into our mental illness similarities and what it’s like having a bipolar brain.
Clare and I also get to nerd out about fitness - explicitly about crossfit and weightlifting. We have both found community and support through our crossfit families and it’s great to discuss that together. Hope you enjoy this chat because it was great to catch up with Clare a bit!
Also, a note on my audio for the episode - my usual mic WAS plugged in but my recording equipment chose to record from the computer’s built-in mic instead - so it’s a little scratchy on my end!
- This week you got to hear tunes from the new Personal Best album, “What You At,” which was recently released on Sheer Luck Records.
- Out of Portsmouth, United Kingdom, Personal Best is self-described as “classic rock for tragic lesbians,” which is fitting because the band is full of classic rock vibes and solos packaged within a brandishing of new wave emo/rock structures.
- On this episode, you got to hear the tracks, “Jennifer,” “Love Letter,” and “Baby.” You can check out the album through Personal Best’s Bandcamp page, and through all of the streaming platforms! While there, you can snag a vinyl or CD copy of the album as well!
THE CONNECTEDU NETWORK
- This week, you got to learn about the ConnectEDU Network, of which this podcast is now a contributing member!
- ConnectEDU Network connects the unique perspectives and expert insight of higher education through podcasting. If you’re affiliated with higher education – from professor to director of marketing – you’ll be able to find a podcast that fits your style. Our podcasts are produced and hosted by passionate and innovative members of the field, all fueled by the excitement of the future of higher education.
- You should check out all of the Network’s content creators and podcasts right now if you’re looking for some new education-based pods!
And you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
THE ART OF SURVIVAL UPDATE
We've officially rebranded The Art of Survival and launched a revamping of our website - artissurvival.com! Check out the MANY resources we have available and please feel free to read our stories and share your own!
We are also excited to announce a brand new Patreon account - so if you would like to support our work, please check out your options of how to do so! Even $5/month can go a long way!
Check out the link here:
And if you haven't noticed, we're dedicating ourselves to the music scene moving forward - so if your band/venue would like to work with us, please reach out!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in - we will be back in two weeks with another great chat!