47: Late Bloomer & What Happens When Education Doesn't Work Out
Late Bloomer &
What Happens When Education Doesn't Work Out
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
Late Bloomer is a grunge rock and roll band from North Carolina - the band consists of three progressive dudes doing work in the scenes of their relatively conservative state to challenge toxic masculinity and to uplift social justice initiatives. And it just so happens that Josh, the bassist and vocalist of the band, initially went to college to be a teacher and was planning to continue into the field until the Great Recession of 2008 derailed those plans. Even though he watched his educator friends drop out of the field, he realized that he had other options - like music!
The band recently released a new LP, "Waiting," through our friends at 6131 Records and it truly kicks some major ass. Fans of Dinosaur Jr., Basement, Fiddlehead, and Fugazi may dig the hell out of this album.
We also dig into how weird genre classifications work, as well as claiming straight edge after getting sober, the art of piano tuning, teaching little kids how to play guitar, and a bunch about random movies. The episode was recorded at Cafe Maddies in Quincy, Mass - so there is some noise and chatter in the background.
- This was a rough week for me and a few others, so I wanted to hype the National Suicide Prevention lifeline. Please know that you have an outlet in case you need someone to speak with when you aren't feeling great.
- Call 1-800-273-TALK (8255) if you need some support.
- You can also suggest that folks reach out to the Crisis Text Line by texting "HOME" to 741741.
- And feel free to reach out to us on social or via email if you need someone to talk with as well! we're here for you - we love you.
- This week we shared tunes from the new Late Bloomer album, "Waiting," which came out two weeks ago through 6131 Records - where you can snag a vinyl copy of the record, or a CD, or a cassette!
- We shared the songs, "Sleeve" and "Heaven" on this episode.
- The album is currently available FOR DOWNLOAD on their bandcamp site, so you have no reason to not download this album right now!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
And as mentioned at the top of the episode, you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back next week with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.