56: Dylan Slocum (Spanish Love Songs) - From Collegiate Baseball to Punk Rock Gigs
56: Dylan Slocum
(Spanish Love Songs)
- From Collegiate Baseball to Punk Rock Gigs
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Dylan Slocum is the lead singer and guitarist for the punk rock band, Spanish Love Songs. Dylan grew up playing baseball and was even a collegiate pitcher - which gave him a fascinating look into the college experience from the standpoint of a student athlete. Dylan and I broke down the lack of self-care that exists for a majority of student athletes, and how Dylan eventually developed his own path through education and even the punk rock realm.
Dylan and I sat down in my kitchen after a hefty Red Robin meal and got right down to business. The conversation often meanders through various life experiences - including exploring education options and opportunities throughout college while eventually finding worth in making music. And then there’s a slight detour into a cheesecake taste test (not brought to you by Cheesecake Factory)!
Spanish Love Songs is on the rise right now and the band is doing some really great stuff, so make sure to check them out beyond this interview! Enjoy!
- This week we shared tunes from the new Spanish Love Songs album, “Schmaltz,” which came out in March through A-F Records! You can get a vinyl copy, CD, or digital copy of the album through A-F Records or on the band’s website!
- Spanish Love Songs is a fantastic punk rock band from Los Angeles - they’ve been crushing it over the last few years and everyone in the band is fantastic. So please support them!
- In this episode, we played the songs, “Buffalo Buffalo,” “The Boy Considers His Haircut,” and “Bellyache.”
- Also, all of the band’s music is already available FOR DOWNLOAD on their bandcamp site, so you have no reason to not download this album right now!
As always, you can CHECK OUT OUR SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- This week we hyped up Half Access - which is the nonprofit founded by our eighth guest, Cassie Wilson. Half Access was started with the purpose of amassing as much venue accessibility information as possible to inform venues across the country and the world about how to better construct and renovate spaces to accommodate the needs of disabled music goers.
- Half Access has launched a brand new website! Visit HalfAccess.org to sign up for updates from the organization. You can also reach out to Cassie and volunteer your time to supporting the cause of making music venues for inclusive and accessible so that our communities can truly thrive.
And as always, you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back next week with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.