33: Dane Erbach (Table-Turned) & Teaching as Performance
Teaching as Performance
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
Dane Erbach has been a high school teacher in the suburbs of Chicago for over a decade. He's also the owner of Table-Turned, which is a vinyl subscription service that allows folks to pick a genre of their choice, and each month they receive a new record in the mail! Dane has a huge heart for music and for his students, which you get to hear throughout this episode, which is full of stories and insight to his busy life - balancing full-time work as an educator, father, husband, and record label owner/vinyl subscription owner.
Dane and I sort of feel like kindred spirits at times throughout the conversation, as our ethics and interests align very well - so well that this conversation could have easily ran double in length. We get into what it's like being an ultra authentic educator and what that looks like in terms of being an accessible resource for our students, and how we bring a lot of ourselves into our work. And how when we get home, we take out the remaining energy we have on our creative efforts.
- This week, I featured tunes from the new Man Mountain album, "Infinity Mirror," which comes out THIS FRIDAY through Spartan Records. Man Mountain is a fantastic post rock instrumental band from Detroit, and I've been looking forward to a full-length from them for a while now!
- You got to hear the song, "Memory Trace," which is off the new album, and if you like what you heard, head over to Spartan Records right now and snag yourself a digital copy, a CD, or one of the few remaining vinyl copies they have left!
- I also played bits of the song, "Lucerna," throughout the episode, which is the second track on the band's 3-track EP, "To Call Each Thing By Its Right Name," which came out in 2013.
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- This week we hyped Dane's vinyl subscription service, Table Turned!
- Table-Turned is a DIY record-of-the-month club. Subscribers select from two genre options and receive a record each month for that genre, including some “classics” as well as albums they may have missed.
- Table-Turned was recently featured in Paste magazine AND in The Hype Magazine!
- Right now, folks can subscribe for either the Post-Hardcore genre option or the Shoegaze genre option $160 for an entire year. You will eventually be able to subscribe month-to-month for $15 a month. RESERVE YOUR COPIES NOW - TONIGHT is your last chance to make this happen! After tonight, the rate goes up to $175 for the year, which is still a great price!
- To learn more and/or to start your subscription, visit Table-Turned.com!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.