66: Shawn Carter & DIY Comedy Debate
66: Shawn Carter &
DIY Comedy Debate
Shawn Carter is a professional comedian, comedy producer, podcast producer, and all around great guy. Shawn runs comedy shows all over Boston - and has been doing so for well over a decade. He has helped create a fantastic community of comedians in the Boston area that are supportive, creative, and genuinely trying to make each other better. The DIY ethics Shawn exudes are a testament to how hard he works, how much he puts his friends over, and the opportunities he creates for others to thrive.
And if Shawn and I have something in common it’s that we both love projects! We’re both kinda always doing something. Shawn ALSO runs a podcast, Pick A Side Stupid, which is also a weekly live comedy debate show that takes place in Quincy, Mass - right across town from where we live - where two comedians are posed a question and then they improv a response. It’s truly one of the most unique spectacles I’ve seen in a comedy sphere.
Make sure you follow Pick A Side Stupid over at Podbean, iTunes, Stitcher, and really anywhere you get podcasts! You will not regret it! Make sure to join the Facebook group if you’d like to keep up! I will also be a guest on the upcoming Sex episode - so you won’t want to miss that!
- This week you got to hear tunes from the ridiculous new Florida Man LP, “Tropical Depression,” which will be released on May 3 through our friends over at Spartan Records!
- Florida Man's sound may be as unnerving as a Google search of their band name, but on their sophomore full-length Tropical Depression, the Charleston, SC noise-punks harness roaring blasts of distortion and a fascination with the bleaker side of life to create one of the year’s most uncompromising and cathartic releases. Tropical Depression effectively filters the spirits of the most legendary noise rock and post-hardcore scenes -- San Diego’s angular attack (Hot Snakes, No Knife), Seattle’s sheer power (Botch, These Arms Are Snakes), Chicago’s sonic depravity (The Jesus Lizard, Shellac), and DC’s unbridled creativity (Fugazi, Faraquet) -- through the band's unique brand of sweat-soaked southern grime and a dose of hardcore aggression. (Courtesy of Spartan Records)
- On this episode, you got to hear the track, “Brain Cell,” which is a major kick in the face - and it’s the opening track to the album, so you know you’re in for a treat!
THE CONNECTEDU NETWORK
- This week, you got to learn about the ConnectEDU Network, of which this podcast is now a contributing member!
- ConnectEDU Network connects the unique perspectives and expert insight of higher education through podcasting. If you’re affiliated with higher education – from professor to director of marketing – you’ll be able to find a podcast that fits your style. Our podcasts are produced and hosted by passionate and innovative members of the field, all fueled by the excitement of the future of higher education.
- You should check out all of the Network’s content creators and podcasts right now if you’re looking for some new education-based pods!
And you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
THE ART OF SURVIVAL UPDATE
We've officially rebranded The Art of Survival and launched a revamping of our website - artissurvival.com! Check out the MANY resources we have available and please feel free to read our stories and share your own!
We are also excited to announce a brand new Patreon account - so if you would like to support our work, please check out your options of how to do so! Even $5/month can go a long way!
Check out the link here:
And if you haven't noticed, we're dedicating ourselves to the music scene moving forward - so if your band/venue would like to work with us, please reach out!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in - we will be back next week with another great chat!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.