51: Chris Paraskevas & Teaching English in French Canada
Chris Paraskevas & Teaching English
in French Canada
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Chris Paraskevas is a high school English teacher, vinyl and tattoo collector and baseball player based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada! This marks our first ever international conversation! Chris is an avid fan of literature, culture, and how social issues intersect and inform everything he teaches his students. Chris is a risktaker in the classroom - having taught a unit using the first season of the TV show, Atlanta, to dissect racial issues explored in the show through the classroom context. He also makes sure to push his students to think outside of their experiences and to consider the humanity and well-being of others through literature and music.
Chris and I break down what it's like teaching in Canada, being a working professional in the education field while being very visibly tattooed, and how important it is to be confident in the classroom. We also get into something I haven't pondered in a long time - teaching from a place of fear and that limits our work. This was a wonderful conversation and I'm very excited to share it with y'all because it's this sort of conversation that made me want to start this podcast!
- This week we shared tunes from the newly remastered and expanded Me in Capris EP, "For Those Who Think You," which came out on August 10 through Disposable America.
- Me in Capris is a fantastic Boston-based punk that brings as much intensity as they do heart and passion - and we play the tracks, "Pretty," "Not my Blues," "Yr Velouria," on this episode!
- The EP is currently available FOR DOWNLOAD on their bandcamp site, so you have no reason to not download this album right now! You can also snag a limited run cassette copy of the EP through Disposable America as well!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
-Make sure you follow Jaclyn's project over at inbetweenspins.com - and follow on Twitter and Instagram to check out all of the goodies she's gonna share with the world! And check out her YouTube channel!
And as always, you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back next week with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.