028: Vince Filak & the Evolution of Journalism
Vince Filak &
the Evolution of Journalism
WELCOME BACK TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week, Katy and I bring you another sit-down in-person conversation from our recent trip to Wisconsin! We're chatting with Vince Filak, who is a Professor of Journalism at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. He was previously a Professor at Ball State and did his doctoral education at the University of Missouri - where he oversaw the university newspaper, which is what he currently does at UW Oshkosh as well! And that's how Vince and Katy are connected! Katy used to be one of Vince's students - in class and on the newspaper! So, you get to hear the two of them reminisce a lot about their time together, and Vince shares lots of stories of his time as a professional journalist, scholar, writer, and educator.
Vince recently released his latest book, "Dynamics of News Reporting & Writing: Foundations for a Digital Age," which is now the Number one book on Amazon's list of new Journalism books! It's such a perfect release because we dig into a lot of the intricacies of what it has been like for Vince to learn the evolution of journalism alongside the development of social media and other digital technologies.
As mentioned in the podcast, we also want to make sure we share Vince's constantly updating website, DynamicsofWriting.com - you can get all of the news about web writing, journalism, and fresh takes on plenty of national news pieces that are trending in real time.
And if you like this chat, stay tuned! Be you're getting an Xtra dose of the Pod later this week - where we have a focused conversation on the recent ubiquity of Fake News.
- In this episode, you heard tunes from the new HIKES EP, "Lilt." This was my personal favorite EP of 2017, and I am excited to share it with you this week, courtesy of Community Records.
- Community Records is a DIY record label based in New Orleans, that views itself less like a label and more like a collaborative community focused on promoting good music and connecting people through that music.
- If you like what you hear, please check out Hikes.Band or Hikes.bandcamp.com or visit CommunityRecords.org to snag yourself a copy of the new HIKES EP - or any of the other fantastic releases Community Records has put out!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- This week I hyped up Punk Talks, which was founded in January 2015 in the Cincinnati area. It aims to provide free mental health assistance to bands, industry professionals, and fans while also educating and raising awareness of mental health and self-care.
- Punk Talks just celebrated its third year of existence, and in that time, it has toured around the country to spread its message while gaining the support of bands and industry professionals in the community for the positive impact it has had on mental health awareness in emo, punk, and DIY.
- It has been endorsed and supported by bands such as Modern Baseball, Turnover, You Blew It, Free Throw, Somos, Sorority Noise, Spraynard, Dikembe, and many others.
- Make sure to visit PunkTalks.org for more information!
- You don't have to be sad to make great music.
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.