014: Katy Hamm & Mental Health in the Workplace
Katy Hamm &
Mental Health in the Workplace
WELCOME BACK TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
This week is a special episode for a few reasons! Primarily, I get to chat with my best friend and partner, Katy Hamm. Also, it's a week where we get to talk about one of my favorite topics - mental health. Well, it's one of OUR favorite topics because Katy and I talk about mental health almost every single day - so it was nice to record a chat with them this week.
Katy is the Student Activities Coordinator at Lesley University in Cambridge, Mass - where feelings and mental health are consistent topics of conversation. Katy does a lot of work to destigmatize mental health in the workplace, so they're bringing a wealth of knowledge and experience to this conversation. And we hope you enjoy this week's episode!
CONTENT WARNING: We dive into the topics of depression, anxiety, traumas, PTSD, and suicidality within this episode, which might be triggering for some listeners.
- Last week was Suicide Prevention Week, and in honor of that, I wrote a blog post about managing mental health in the workplace for my friends in Presence. You should definitely look at this conversation as an extension of this post.
- Back before we started dating, Katy and I wrote a fun collaborative blog post about the healing power of music and how it got both of us into the field.
- Katy works at Lesley University, which is where expressive arts therapy was created! Lots of feelings at Lesley.
- Katy’s wrote a powerful post about loss.
- Here is a blog post I wrote about my mental health.
- Make sure to know your rights if you suffer with mental illness - the ADA can be your friend.
- I love that Katy and I are both big fans of the book, The Virgin Suicides - kind of ironic for this week's topic, but such a powerful story.
- 30 Rock is a very important and influential TV show for Katy - who loves a lot of TV.
- It's sort of telling that Katy's favorite movie is Idiocracy - such a wonderful allegory of today's political climate.
- If you know Katy, you know their favorite band to see live is Every Time I Die. And lately they've been all about the newer pop punk band, Waterparks!
- This week I featured tunes from the band, RANGES, who release its new album, "The Ascensionist" THIS FRIDAY through A Thousand Arms Music (US) and dunk!records (EU). Pick up the vinyl, CD, or a digital copy through AThousandarms.com or rangesmusic.com!
- You get to hear the title track, which has a shiny new video that you can watch!
- Also featured on the episode are the songs, "The Greater Light," as well as "In the Arms of Kings and Gods," and you can hear more from the new album at their bandcamp page.
- This week I hyped up A Thousand Arms, which is a brilliant design and merch company that has done amazing things for almost every post rock instrumental band that exists!
- You can order unique merch - including screen-printed posters, shirts, hoodies, slipmats, hats, and koozies - by visiting http://www.athousandarms.com/printing today!
- A Thousand Arms guarantee a 2-week turnaround and delivery from the date payment is received. Delivered locally if in the Bozeman area or shipped worldwide. Full payment is required up-front. They accept most forms of payment, please inquire in your quote request as to which method you prefer. Any and all questions, along with quote requests can be sent via email to email@example.com.
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.