010: Dillon Nettles & Modern Segregation
Dillon Nettles &
WELCOME BACK TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Dillon Nettles is the Community Programs Director for the Montgomery Education Foundation (MEF) in Montgomery, Alabama. Dillon has lived in the south his entire life, and the timing of the heinous, racist, and bigoted events this weekend in Charlottesville, he shares his thoughts with me!
We also dig into his work at the MEF and what got him into the education field, as well as what keeps him doing this work in spite of the various systems of racialized oppression and segregation that still exist and persist in America in 2017. This is a fascinating conversation and I am so excited to share it with you all.
- Dillon needs to remind you all that can use Google and it is free. So there is no need to be stingy about it's resources.
- Check out the fantastic work that Dillon and his colleagues do at the Montgomery Education Foundation by visiting www.montgomeryed.org.
- Dillon and some of his colleagues have a blog focused on progressive work in the South, so check out the forewordsouth.com!
- In addition to the blog, Dillion JUST posted a new piece on his thoughts about the events that occurred in Charlottesville, VA this weekend.
- Dillon hypes up the great work of the P.O.W.E.R. House in Montgomery, Alabama, which provides a safe environment for folks in the South to access reproductive care services.
- Dillon is currently jamming out to the new SZA album, "CTRL"
- A massive Beyonce fan, Dillon is all about her album, “4,” and especially the track, "Countdown."
- He claims the book that changed the game for him was, "I Know Why the Cage Bird Sings," by Maya Angelou.
- Also, if you haven't seen it already, Dillon suggests checking out "Girl's Trip!"
- This week you get tunes from This Patch of Sky, who release their new album, "These Small Spaces," on September 22 through Equal Vision Records and Graphic Nature Records.
- You can preorder the new album on vinyl, CD, and digital at thispatchofskymusic.com and equalvisionrecords.com!
- Make sure to check out the band's tunes on Spotify as well! Plenty of fantastic sleepytime/study music!
- Also, you can watch the time-lapse music video for "Pale Lights," directed and created by Nevan Doyle (see below), which showcases how Nevan made the album artwork for the "These Small Spaces."
- If you need some design work done, check out the work by my buddy, Nevan Doyle! He is one of the best up-and-coming graphic designers and artists today!
- Visit Mishko.co to check out his artwork, videos, and music! You can commission him to create artwork and/or videos for your band, brand, program, company, and/or office! Make it happen!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
See you next week!
Let's get to work.