Matt Coviello &
University Public Safety
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST!
Matt Coviello is a Public Safety officer at UMass Boston. Officer Coviello's focus on the force is community outreach and educational work. Craig and Matt work together at UMass Boston and are both very visible people on campus. Craig and Matt discuss what it's like working on a college campus in a big city like Boston, how the 2009 recession impacted Matt's initial approach to entering the police force, and why some of the most rewarding aspects of his work often occur outside of the campus.
Folks may wonder, "what is a cop doing on a podcast with the word 'punk' associated with it?" And that's a good question! We primarily wanted to bring Matt into the conversation because many of my colleagues work with public safety on their campus. It's important for all folks who work on campuses to understand how to collaborate and support each other. Hope you learn a bit about the ins and outs of university public safety.
- This week we shared tunes from the new Freddie Bourne EP, "The Childhood Birthday Party that No One Came To," which came out on August 6 through Poromo Records.
- Freddie is a fellow student affairs professional in higher education and he makes some gorgeous tunes that are lavishly produced and I'm so glad he was willing to let us share them!
- Two of the singles are currently available FOR DOWNLOAD on his bandcamp site, but you can stream the entire EP - as well as the rest of his tunes - over on Spotify!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE NEW SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- This week we hyped up Half Access - which is the nonprofit founded by our eighth guest, Cassie Wilson. Half Access was started with the purpose of amassing as much venue accessibility information as possible to inform venues across the country and the world about how to better construct and renovate spaces to accommodate the needs of disabled music goers.
- Half Access will be launching a brand new website on Sept. 1 - so visit HalfAccess.org to sign up for updates from the organization. You can also reach out to Cassie and volunteer your time to supporting the cause of making music venues for inclusive and accessible so that our communities can truly thrive.
And as always, you can now join our Facebook community by CLICKING HERE!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and we will be back next week with a new episode!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.