37: Shawna Potter
(War on Women) &
Being a Better Ally
WELCOME TO THE EDUPUNX PODCAST
Shawna Potter is the lead singer of the Baltimore-based feminist punk band, War on Women. Shawna is an activist for human rights, social justice, and gender equity - and is the founder of the Baltimore chapter of Hollaback, which is an initiative to combat street harassment. Shawna has also been facilitating workshops on sexual assault prevention - which she hopes to bring to college campuses, along with the bands' performances.
We spoke with Shawna about the creation of the new War on Women album, the state of politics, and whether the #MeToo movement is actually going to make a difference in the conversation and prevention of sexual assault moving forward. This conversation is also important because we address how to call-in folks when there are disagreements and learning opportunities as allies and how we can all stand to be a little more patient with each other.
- This week, we played tunes from the new War on Women album, "Capture the Flag," which is out this Friday on Bridge 9 records!
- We played the songs, "YDTMHTL," which features vocals from Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, and Julie Ruin, as well as the song, "Lone Wolves."
- If you like what you heard, make sure you visit Bridge 9 Records and snag yourself a vinyl copy, a CD, or a digital copy of the album - you will want to have this in your ears as we move forward with the resistance in 2018!
As always, you can CHECK OUT THE SPOTIFY PLAYLIST!
- Make sure you follow Jaclyn's project over at inbetweenspins.com - we just posted a new episode of the podcast element of the project, so give that a listen!
- Follow In Between Spins on Twitter and Instagram to check out all of the goodies she's gonna share with the world! And check out her YouTube channel!
FOLLOW, RATE, REVIEW, SUBSCRIBE, AND SHARE!
- Any love on the iTunes app helps! CLICK HERE TO VISIT THE ITUNES STORE!
- Don't forget, Android users - we are now on the Google Play Store!!
- We're also FINALLY on Stitcher, so head over there if that's your preferred platform!
- Follow along on Instagram and Twitter @eduPUNXpod!
Thanks so much for tuning in and I'll see you next week!
Up the punx!
Let's get to work.